Saturday, May 14, 2011

Oral Apraxia - Mealtime Consequences?

I have a question for those of you with children who also have oral apraxia. Oral apraxia is problems with the motor planning of non-speech movements like sticking out the tongue or blowing kisses or bubbles. Both of my children have oral apraxia. Ava has both oral apraxia and childhood apraxia of speech. Michael just has oral apraxia.

I have noticed that both children often seem to bite themselves while eating. Several times a week someone will end up in tears during mealtime because they've bitten their tongue, inside of the mouth, or lip. I was wondering if this is pretty typical for toddlers and preschoolers or if you have noticed the same thing happening with your children with apraxia. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I know this is comment is WAY late to your post but I just bumbled into your blog via another apraxia mom...my son (born Nov 2009) also has both oral apraxia and verbal apraxia of speech and he also bites his tongue or his cheek a lot. He definitely seems to have a problem feeling "full" in his mouth and is a food "stuffer" (and then eventually chokes or spits all his food out when he realizes he can't swallow it all). But he certainly feels it when he bites his tongue!!!! My neuro-typical 4 year old occasionally will bite his tongue but doesn't seem like as much.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics